Churches

Rock Island County Churches

Sacred Heart Catholic Church

The Sacred Heart parish was fount July 28, 1898, by the Reverend John F. Lockney. It includes all the English speaking Catholics between Twenty-third Street, both sides, to Forty-sixth Street. Father Lockney built a temporary church on Twenty-eighth Street and used it two years. He moved the parochial residence twenty feet east in order to have room to built the new church. The corner-stone of the new church was laid in May, 1901, and the first mass in the new church was Christmas, 1902. The new church cost $36,000. Father Lockney bought the property for $5,500. The magnificent church, rectory …

Sacred Heart Catholic Church Read More »

Second Congregational Church

The Second Congregational Church of Moline was started as a Mission Sunday School sometime between 1880 and 1890. It was organized as a church June 7, 1891, Reverend J. M. McKnight being its first pastor. There were thirty-two members, twenty-six coming in by letter and six on confession of faith. The first clerk and treasurer was William Gamble. The trustees were C. T. Guy, W. V. Richards, John Williams, J. Stofft and W. T. Ball. The parsonage was built in 1903. The present membership is one hundred and seventy. The present pastor is Reverend Richard S. Haney. Churches of Rock …

Second Congregational Church Read More »

Rapids City, Illinois Churches

The first church organized in Rapids City was the Church of Christ, on September 8, 1856, by Elder G. W. Smith, with a member-ship of twelve. Commencing May, 1857, A. G. Lucas, an evangelist, was pastor for two years, and added eighty members, he being succeeded by Elder H. C. Brown, who added forty-two members in a year and one-half. The church owns a commodious brick house, built upon the land donated by Jonas Barber. Churches of Rock Island County Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908

The Port Byron Congregational Church

The Port Byron Congregational Church was organized in 1849, on the first and second days of September, through the instrumentality of Reverend Julius A. Reed, home missionary agent for Iowa. Previous to this time there had been Congregational preaching in the town once or twice. The church edifice was started in 1854 and completed in 1856. The parsonage was built in 1894. The original number of members was twelve and now it is about one hundred and forty-nine. At present we have no pastor, as Reverend W. B. Shaw resigned October, 1907. Churches of Rock Island County Source: Historic Rock …

The Port Byron Congregational Church Read More »

Sacred Heart Belgian Catholic Church, Moline

The Belgian Catholic population of this city had worshiped at St. Mary’s church ever since the organization of that parish, some thirty years ago. But with the growth of the city, the need of a separate congregation became more and more apparent. In answer to an often expressed desire, Bishop John Lancaster Spalding of Peoria organized this congregation in September, 1906. Building operations were started in November of the same year, and completed M March, 1907. The work has met with the hearty and enthusiastic support of the membership, which is upward of three hundred families. In September, 1907, there …

Sacred Heart Belgian Catholic Church, Moline Read More »

Port Byron Methodist Episcopal Church

This church was organized in 1836, with a membership of six or eight, among whom were Archibald Allen, Candaee Allen, J. H. Lyford and wife, and John Mitchell and wife. The earliest meetings were held in a log cabin, but a good church was built some years later, at an expense of $3,000. The church is in a flourishing condition, with a good membership. Churches of Rock Island County Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908

The Plymouth Congregational Church, East Moline, Illinois

In the Summer of 1903, the Reverend W. A. Elliott (under the auspices of the Congregational Sunday School Society, directed by Reverend W. F. McMillan, secretary), entered East Moline and succeeded in organizing a school. Although difficult, it has proven beneficial to the community, and has been well attended, especially by the young. In December, 1903, under direction of the First Congregational Church of Moline, the Reverend Frank Hoover, state evangelist of the Congregational Home Missionary Society of Illinois, held a series of evangelical services, assisted by Reverend W. W. Willard of the First Congregational Church of Moline, and Reverend …

The Plymouth Congregational Church, East Moline, Illinois Read More »

Methodist Episcopal Church, Zuma

The first Methodist Episcopal class organized in Zuma was in March, 1870, in the Wake school house, and the following named persons composed the class: John A. Donohoo and wife, L. W. Beal and wife, Mrs. Mary Moody, Mrs. Knowls, Mr. and Mrs. J. Dillon, Mr. and Mrs. William McKeever, Mr. and Mrs. George Wake, Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Mumma, and quite a number joined on probation and came into the church later, and others wandered away forever. The first Methodist Episcopal church that was built was dedicated in September, 1870, by Reverend Worthington; the first pastor was Reverend Jemerson, …

Methodist Episcopal Church, Zuma Read More »

Methodist Episcopal Church Of Milan

Reverend F. Haney first held service here, as one of the stations on the Camden circuit, and was followed by Reverend John Grundy, who remained two years. The church was organized in 1848, and preaching was done in the school house, until 1854, when the church was built. Churches of Rock Island County Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908

Hebrew Congregations

Rock Island has two well established and flourishing synagogues, the largest of which is Beth Israel, located at the corner of Twenty-second Street and Third Avenue, M. Goldman, Rabbi. This congregation, in the year 1902, erected a magnificent edifice in which to worship. The Beth Israel Congregation, many years prior to the construction of their present u synagogue, had occupied various quarters and had a large membership. Immediately following the building of their present house of worship. another congregation was formed, so that the Hebrews in the lower end of the city would not be called upon to traverse the …

Hebrew Congregations Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top