Churches

Rock Island County Churches

Andalusia, Illinois Churches

The earliest meetings of the Methodist Episcopal Church Society were held during 1849, at the residence of Mrs. Sarah Buffum. At this time there were only about seven church members of all denominations in the township, and ministers were doing missionary work. Subsequently their meetings were held in various places, until the organization of the class at the residence of Joseph Garnett, at Sulphur Springs, in the Fall of 1858. The original members were: Mrs. Sarah Buffum, Elizabeth Eby, F. A. Cobb, Joseph Garnett, Mrs. Clara W. Ferguson and Mrs. Susan Garnett, at which time W. J. Giddings was pastor, …

Andalusia, Illinois Churches Read More »

The Broadway Presbyterian

On October 28, 1874, a little company of Presbyterians met at the home of Mr. D. T. Robinson to consider the advisability of organizing a Presbyterian Church in the eastern part of the city. The conclusion was. “we deem it expedient too organize.” A petition to the Presbytery of Rock River, presented at Princeton, Illinois, on April 13, 1875, by a committee consisting of Mr. C. C. More and Doctor J. W. Stewart, was favor-ably heard, and, the Presbytery sent Reverend Josiah Milligan, Reverend J. H. Moore and Elder Snyder to Rock Island to canvass the field and organize the …

The Broadway Presbyterian Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top