Press

Rock Island County Press

The Upper Mississippian

After the Banner began its support of the Democratic party, the Whigs felt the need of a paper during the political excitement of 1840, and accordingly in the early part of October of that year the Upper Mississipian was started; its editors and proprietors at first not being announced, but all communications were to be …

The Upper Mississippian Read More »

The Rock Island Register

T. J. Pickett launched a Republican paper -the Rock Island Register-February 9, 1859, and published from the start a weekly and tri-weekly, with Campbell W. Waite as associate editor, who continued his connection with the paper for about five months. June 6, 1860, C. W. Kirkland became a partner, the firm name being Pickett and …

The Rock Island Register Read More »

Rock Island Union

While the Union was first issued in Rock Island, November 5, 1862, the origin of the paper is to be sought in Moline, the daily and weekly Union representing a union of two Moline papers, and the transfer of the office of publication to Rock Island, the county seat, and the political and commercial centre …

Rock Island Union Read More »

The Reynolds Press

Jesse A. Winger was the founder of the Press. He bought the entire plant, new from shooting-stick to newspaper press, in Chicago, and issued Number one of Volume one in Aledo, the seat of Mercer County, on October 19, 1894. In that city it was published for more than a year as a red hot …

The Reynolds Press Read More »

Port Byron Globe

The first issue of the Port Byron Globe appeared October 16, 1880, J. W. Simpson being editor and proprietor. It was then an eight-column folio and was liberally patronized from the start. Mr. Simpson, February 22, 1885, sold out to Hess and Owen. This firm continued for a year, when Mr. Hess sold his interest …

Port Byron Globe Read More »

The News

On the 10th of March, 1855, James Bowie issued a daily paper in Rock Island called The News. It was printed in Raymond’s office in Gothic Block, and was of transient duration. It expired after an existence of one hundred and twenty-eight days. Bowie came here from Baltimore, and after leaving here edited a paper …

The News Read More »

The Neue Yolks Zeitung

On the 30th of August, 1875, the first number of a handsome semi-weekly, entitled Neue Volks Zeitung, was issued from Zeis’ Building on the northeast corner of Eighteenth Street and Second Avenue. It was started by Charles C. Winter, one of the editors of the Westliche Post, of St. Louis, who had come here during …

The Neue Yolks Zeitung Read More »

Moline Mail

Although the youngest of the newspapers of Moline, the Moline Evening Mail has, from the first, enjoyed the confidence and favor of the great mass of the people comprising Moline’s population; and with the growth of the city and suburbs the paper has increased in these attributes. Started as a Sunday morning paper in 1893, …

Moline Mail Read More »

Moline Weekly Review-Dispatch

From June of 1867, when Captain L. M. Haverstick bought the Moline Republican and discontinued it, to November 26, 1870, Moline had no newspaper. On the date last named, Messrs. Lowe and Gilson (Frank R. Gilson, later of the Clinton, Iowa, Herald and the Benton Harbor, Michigan, Palladium, during his proprietorship of which latter paper …

Moline Weekly Review-Dispatch Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top