Societies

Rock Island County Societies

The Turn Verein

The Rock Island Turn Verein, or the Turner Society, as it is commonly styled, is one of the best known and most substantial organizations in the city. Its origin dates back to April 16, 1857, when it was known as the Turn Gemeinde. It was incorporated in 1869. During the time that has intervened there has been but one real crisis in its affairs. That was happily tided over and since that time its growth has been steady and sufficient. John Imber, a shoemaker, upon coming to this city during the fifties, began agitating the question of such an organization …

The Turn Verein Read More »

The Modern Woodmen Of America

One of the most important Rock Island institutions is the head office building of the Modern Woodmen of America. In the Rock Island building, erected and furnished at an expense of more than $425,000 are constantly employed an average force of two hundred people, with a monthly pay roll of over $15,000. It will thus be seen that aside from the value as an advertisement to the city and county the society is a most valued financial institution, bringing to the locality a most desirable class of citizens who are connected with it. The Modern Woodmen of America is a …

The Modern Woodmen Of America Read More »

Royal Neighbors Of America

The Royal Neighbors of America, as a fraternal beneficiary society, was twelve years old in March, 1907, charter having been granted March 21, 1895. The first camp in the society-or rather the body from which the first camp of the society sprung–was organized in December, 1888, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, as a “ladies auxiliary” to Hazel Camp, No. 171, Modern Woodmen of America. The stated purpose of this auxiliary was “to entertain and help increase the membership and encourage the building up of the society of the Modern Woodmen of America.” The originators were the wives of the neighbors of …

Royal Neighbors Of America Read More »

Royal Arcanum

Rock Island Council, No. 1952, Royal Arcanum, was organized September 3, 1902, in Math’s Hall, with twenty-eight charter members. First officers elected were: Re-gent, Will A. Robb; vice-regent, William Ranson; orator, Frank H. First; past regent, H. H. Robb; secretary, S. E. Mattison, junior; collector, Joseph F. Schneider; treasurer, A. S. Rasmussen; chaplain, Reverend Thomas J. Shuey; guide, Albert Myers; warden, Benjamin E. Robb; sentry, William M. Johnson; trustees, Phil S. Wilcher, William Emig, Charles Oswald; representative grand council, H. H. Robb; alternate, Will A. Robb. Meetings are held in Math’s Hall, the second and fourth Friday nights of each …

Royal Arcanum Read More »

The Rodman Rifles

Was mustered into the State service, by Colonel David O. Reid, adjutant-general commanding, September 5, 1877. numbering about seventy-five men. The first officers elected were. William P. Butler, captain; Charles W. Hawes, first lieutenant; John M. Reticker, second lieutenant. Shortly after the organization of the company it was assigned to the Fourteenth Battalion of Infantry, Illinois National Guard, and designated as Company D. First Lieu-tenant Charles W. Hawes was elected captain, vice-captain William P. Butler promoted to lieutenant-colonel commanding the Fourteenth Battalion, with headquarters at Rock Island. The company was one of the finest in the State, having distinguished itself …

The Rodman Rifles Read More »

Masonic History Of Rock Island County

The first organization of Masonic lodges in this vicinity was a dispensation granted by the grand master of the grand lodge of the State of Illinois, in 1847, to Cambridge lodge at Cambridge, Illinois. The nearest lodges being St. Johns, No. 13, at Peru, LaSalle County; Henderson, No. 26, Knox County; and Monmouth, No. 37, Warren County. A charter was granted October 4, 1847, to Cambridge Lodge as No. 49, meetings to be held at Cambridge and Rock Island alternately. January 26, 184S, in compliance with the unanimous request of Cambridge Lodge, a dispensation was granted to meet regularly at …

Masonic History Of Rock Island County Read More »

Grand Army Of The Republic

In compiling the history of Rock Island County, it would not be complete without making mention of the Grand Army Posts, and their auxiliaries. Shortly after the close of the Civil War, the thought came in the minds of the soldiers that were separating to do something that would keep them near together, and the Grand Army of the Republic was instituted. Doctor B. F. Stephenson, of Springfield, Illinois, was the founder. The first Post was organized at Decatur, Illinois, April 6, 1866. Honorable M. F. Kanan was its first commander. Wednesday evening, June 6, 1.866, a meeting was held …

Grand Army Of The Republic Read More »

Independent Order Of Odd Fellows

The national order was first instituted in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1819, by five people; a blacksmith by the name of Wiley being the head organizer. The first local lodge instituted and chartered was Rock Island Lodge, No. 18, in 1850; some of the older members being Washington L. Sweeney, Charles B. Knox, William Bell, W. T. Norris, Henry Burgower, Ernest Krell, Charles Engel, Cyrus Churchill, Jacob Huber, John B. Hawley and W. T. Magill. Ucal Lodge, No. 608, was chartered in 1876; the older members being Jonas Bear, Reuben Bollman, Frank Bahnsen, Benjamin Hartz, Herbert Scott, John South and Charles …

Independent Order Of Odd Fellows Read More »

Arsenal Council, No. 171.

Arsenal Council of this city was organized in August, 1885, and its first officers were: President, H. D. Mack; vice-president, C. E. Hawley, speaker, Robert Bennett; ex-president, S. W. Raines,, secretary, W. J. Kahlke; financial secretary, M. A. Patterson; sergeant, financial secretary, M. A. Patterson; treasurer, J. H. Cleland; medical examiner, Doctor G. L. Eyster; chaplain, A. W. Tanner; usher, M. Kuehlman; sergeant W. P. Cochran; trustees, E. H. Bowman, Harry Cleveland and George Phillips. Many of the first charter members and officers are still members at present, some have died and a few have dropped out. The National Union …

Arsenal Council, No. 171. Read More »

Benevolent And Protective Order Of Elks

The Rock Island Lodge, No. 980, of the brotherhood of Elks was organized June 26, 1905, with a membership of fifty-five; at the present time (September, 1908) it numbers three hundred and twenty-five. Their first quarters were over the Illinois Theatre. January 31, 1908, they moved to new quarters in the new Elks Building on Eighteenth Street near the river front, where they occupy two stories, and have a lodge room, club room, and accompaniments, as fine as any in the State. Departing from their old home, four hundred Elks formed in line and marched to their new home with …

Benevolent And Protective Order Of Elks Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top