William C. Anderson. Many beautiful farms may be seen by the traveler in Shaw’s Point Township, but none more attractive than that of Mr. Anderson, on section 9. He owns about four hundred acres of land and also has four hundred acres in South Otter Township, all of which is carefully tilled and systematically managed. The dwelling is comfortable in appearance and gives evidence of the presence of an orderly and refined woman within. Among the farm buildings are such barns, granaries and sheds as the extent of the work carried on makes convenient. This fine farm has been gained by the exercise of judicious management and unremitting toil on the part of the present owner, and he justly merits his position among the foremost agriculturists and stock raisers of Macoupin County.
The immediate progenitors of our subject are William D. and Elizabeth (Hancock) Anderson, natives of Kentucky. The father was reared in Wayne County, that State, and in 1828, accompanied his family, came to this State and located in Macoupin County. This was his home the most of the time until his death, although for one year he sojourned in Sangamon County. The family comprised eight children, of whom seven attained to mature years. Our subject, the second in order of birth, was born in Carlinville, this county, August 26, 1830, and therefore knows no home but this. He has been a witness of the many changes which have been made in the country, has watched with interest the springing up of towns, the hewing out of the wilderness and the improvement of the soil.
When he was fourteen years old our subject was orphaned by the death of his father, after which sad event he went to live with an uncle, Henry Edwards. There he grew to manhood, attending the pioneer schools of the district whenever opportunity offered, and aiding in the farm work. At the age of nineteen years he utilized his thorough knowledge of agricultural pursuits by working out on farms for others and continued thus employed until he was twenty-six years old. After his marriage, which occurred about this time, he settled on section 9, Shaw’s Point township, where he has since resided. He has devoted his attention both to general farming and stock-raising and, as he brings to his work an unusual degree of judgment and foresight, his efforts have naturally met with flattering success. He keeps abreast with all improvements in agriculture, has his estate supplied with the latest improved machinery, and good management is shown in all the details of farm work.
For more than thirty years the pleasant home of Mr. Anderson has been presided over by a lady whose nobility of character and hospitality of disposition have won for a warm place among a large circle of acquaintances. Mrs. Anderson was born in Macoupin County, August 11, 1834 and bore the maiden name of Mary Ann Anderson. She is the sister of M. M. Anderson, of Carlinville, and her parents James C. and Ann Anderson were natives of Virginia and Kentucky. The happy wedded life of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson has been blest to them by the birth of six children, of whom we note the following: William T. died May 9, 1880, at the age of twenty-three years, leaving a wife Josephine (Leach) Anderson; Henry M. married Miss Lizzie Sharp and they have one daughter; Sarah M. is now Mrs. William Leach; J. C.; David P. and Mary C. died in infancy.
In educational matters Mr. Anderson maintains a special interest and for many years has served as School Director of his district, a position which he ably fills. He has never been an office-seeker, but believes in democracy, and supports the principles of that party with his ballot and influence. A public-spirited, generous man, his influence in the community is great, and his position among the leading citizens of this county has been gained through patient efforts in the interests of the great commonwealth to which he gives his allegiance.
In connection with this brief biographical notice, a lithographic portrait of Mr. Anderson is presented to our readers.
Source: Chapman bros. Portrait and biographical record of Macoupin county, Illinois. Chicago: Biographical publishing company, 1891.