The Rock River Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church began a mission among the German people of Rock Island in September of the year 1855, sending Reverend Ullrich von Gunter as first missionary, and after two years work among the Germans he had succeeded in gathering a membership large enough to build the German Methodist Church on Twentieth Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenue, where also the first parsonage was built. This church was dedicated by Reverend Haas in 1857. By this time the St.. Louis German Conference had been organized and this mission was turned over to said German Conference. After having labored for fifteen years more among the German people the membership had increased to such an extent that the church on Twentieth Street became too small to accommodate the people. That church and parsonage were then sold and a lot with a small house on the corner of Fourteenth Street and Sixth Avenue was bought. The small house with only two rooms had two more rooms added to it and became the parsonage. About five years ago another story was put on this building and it was otherwise remodeled into the present parsonage. On the corner of the lot the present church was built, and dedicated in the year 1874. The membership has never been very large, but much good has been accomplished through this church among the German people of this city. W. C. Schultze is the present pastor.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908