The first Methodist Episcopal class organized in Zuma was in March, 1870, in the Wake school house, and the following named persons composed the class: John A. Donohoo and wife, L. W. Beal and wife, Mrs. Mary Moody, Mrs. Knowls, Mr. and Mrs. J. Dillon, Mr. and Mrs. William McKeever, Mr. and Mrs. George Wake, Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Mumma, and quite a number joined on probation and came into the church later, and others wandered away forever. The first Methodist Episcopal church that was built was dedicated in September, 1870, by Reverend Worthington; the first pastor was Reverend Jemerson, and the first elder was the sedate, efficient and Godly Reverend Doctor Hunter. The first church built was taken down in 1903, and during the thirty-three years it was occupied we had twenty-one pastors and ten elders, and among them was some grand, good men, consecrated men, and all were faithful to their trust. In January, 1904, the new church was dedicated by the Reverend Smith of Aledo, and the pastor was Reverend Mecham, and after him came Reverend T. Wood, then A. A. Waters. The present pastor is Reverend W. Hull, and the present elder is Reverend Doctor Wiley. When we built the first church the circuit was called Zuma, Cordova, Carbon Cliff and Pleasant Valley, belonging to the circuit. In the seventies, Fairfield built a church; Cordova and the other two places were added to Port Byron, and Hampton, then in 1895 or 1896 Hillsdale built a church and it was dedicated by Reverend Elder Head, and since then the circuit has been called Hillsdale.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908