The Port Byron Congregational Church was organized in 1849, on the first and second days of September, through the instrumentality of Reverend Julius A. Reed, home missionary agent for Iowa. Previous to this time there had been Congregational preaching in the town once or twice. The church edifice was started in 1854 and completed in 1856. The parsonage was built in 1894. The original number of members was twelve and now it is about one hundred and forty-nine. At present we have no pastor, as Reverend W. B. Shaw resigned October, 1907.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908