Some time prior to 1853, Reverend Louder-back held Episcopal services in Rock Island; the first recorded vestry meeting being held at Trinity parish November 12, 1853. The organization of Holy Trinity Church was effected about this period. Among the original members were Mr. and Mrs. S. M. Harris, Mrs. Langley, Mrs. Joseph Brackett, Mrs. Goldsmith and Mr. Bailey Davenport. The first church was finished June 11, 1857, at a cost of $2,000. The present church was completed January 30, 1870, at an original cost of $16,000. Reverend L. Goodall was elected first rector October 18, 1854. Trinity Episcopal Church belongs to the Quincy diocese, and is one of the most representative of the Episcopal denomination in this state. Reverend Granville H. Sherwood succeeded Doctor Richard F. Sweet, deceased (see biography elsewhere), who was rector for twenty-seven years. Trinity Chapel, at the northwest corner of Seventh Street and Fourth Avenue, is a branch of this organization.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908