Andre, M. F., father of H. M. and G. B. Andre, now retired from active farming life, is living in a pleasant home at 329 Clay Avenue, Jacksonville. He was born in Aubagne, France, now a part of Belgium, February 13, 1833, the son of John and Susan (Walsing) Andre. John Andre, the father, was a soldier of the “Old Guard”, and assisted in winning the victories of the Great Napoleon for thirteen years, and also fought in the ranks at the close of his military career on the memorable plains near Brussels in the historic Battle of Waterloo, dying in France at the age of fifty-eight years. M. F. Andre came to America in 1851, first locating in New York and later in Wisconsin, but in 1854 came to Meredosia in Morgan County, where, for a time, he worked for others, making his first purchase of land in 1858, when he secured 20 acres east of Meredosia. He has from time to time added to the original tract and has sold some of his land, but still owns a well-improved farm of 142 acres. A good farm residence with substantial outbuildings, shade trees, orchards, and well-cultivated fields, at once proclaim the owner a thrifty and prosperous farmer. Of late years he has followed general farming, but in former times paid considerable attention to the breeding and feeding of cattle. He was married December 28, 1858, to Elizabeth A. Graham, daughter of L. D. Graham, an extensive land-owner and farmer in the northwestern part of Morgan County. Mr. and Mrs. Andre became the parents of five children, viz: Linda F., wife of Theodore Raglin, of Quincy, Kansas; Roland Lee, who married Anna, daughter of William Holscher; Henry Milton and George Bertram, who are in partnership in the mercantile business in Jacksonville, and Harriet V., who is bookkeeper for her brothers. In the spring of 1904, M. F. Andre retired from agricultural pursuits to his home in Jacksonville. He served his district for eighteen years on the School Board and was Commissioner of Roads for many years. In politics he is a Democrat.