Andre & Andre. – This firm is classed among the leading and progressive mercantile houses of the city of Jacksonville, and their extensive business as “High Grade House Furnishers” is not confined to the city, the county, or the State. While they are transacting a very large and growing business at home, they ship goods to many points in all the Western States. The heads of this establishment are the brothers H. M. and G. B. Andre, doing business under the firm name of Andre & Andre.
H. M. Andre, the elder member of the firm, was born on his father’s farm in the northwestern part of Morgan County, June 20, 1967, the son of M. F. and Elizabeth A. (Graham) Andre, the former a native of France, who came to America in 1851and located as a farmer in Morgan County three years later. H. M. Andre attended the schools in his neighborhood and the Meredosia High School, assisting in the farm work, teaching in the vicinity, and later graduating from the Gem City Business college, at Quincy, Illinois His first business venture was in connection with his uncles, George W. Graham and H. S. Hysinger (Hysinger & Graham), prominent merchants in the village of Meredosia. Sometime later he went to Marble, Colorado, and there spent two years in the mountains engaged in mercantile pursuits. He then returned to Morgan County, and in 1894 secured the position of bookkeeper at the Central Hospital for the Insane at Jacksonville, after which he made a second trip to the Colorado mountains, which was more a journey for pleasure than business.
Mr. Andrew was married April 28, 1897, to Louise E. Reyland, daughter of E. E. L. Reyland, formerly a merchant of Morgan County, but now a resident of California. Mr. Andre is a member of the Episcopal Church, in which he holds the position of vestryman; is also affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Tribe of Ben Hur, and supports the principles of the Democratic party.
The firm of Andre & Andre was established June 1, 1898, when the two brothers succeeded to the business of S. A. Fairbank on the north side of the Public Square, Jacksonville. The business was then of small dimensions, but under the able management of Andre brothers, has become one of the leading establishments of its kind in this part of the State. The needs of their business require their entire large brick store building, three stories in height with basement, the show room on the ground floor being 40 feet wide by 180 feet in depth. This commodious structure is completely filled with a valuable stock of up-to-date goods pertaining to their line of business.
G. B. Andre, the younger brother of the firm of Andre & Andre, also born on his father’s farm, spent his younger days in attendance at the local schools and making himself generally useful. He was born May 18, 1876; finished his education in the High School in Meredosia, and then started on his business career in the spring of 1894, as a clerk for J. H. Osborne in Jacksonville, being later with W. L. Alexander. In these two positions he spent four years and in 1898 was therefore well qualified to join his brother, H. M. in establishing their present business. He was married June 16, 1897, to Jennie L. McFalls, daughter of James McFalls, a retired farmer of Morgan County, and they have one child, Gladys. G. B. Andre is a member of the order of Elks, Knights of Pythias and Masonic Fraternity, and belongs to the Christian Church, in which he is a Deacon. In political relations he is independent.