First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Rock Island, Illinois, is a branch of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Massachusetts. It was organized on November 2, 1896, to take possession of and conduct services in the church edifice which had been erected for its use by a few adherents of the Christian Science faith. This was the first church edifice erected iii the State of Illinois to be used exclusively for the Christian Science worship. Its location is on Twenty-third Street, near Ninth Avenue, and near the geographical center of the city. The dedicatory service, held on November 8, 1906, was the first Christian Science Sun-day service held in Rock Island, the local Christian Scientists having previously attended church in Davenport, Iowa. The Sunday services are held at 10:45 A. M., and are conducted by two readers, who are elected every three years from the membership of the church. One of the readers reads from the Bible. The other from Science and Health with key to the Scriptures, the text book of Christian Science by Mary Baker G. Eddy. Sunday school is held immediately after the morning service. For a number of years a reading room has been maintained in connection with the church.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908