Rock Island has two well established and flourishing synagogues, the largest of which is Beth Israel, located at the corner of Twenty-second Street and Third Avenue, M. Goldman, Rabbi. This congregation, in the year 1902, erected a magnificent edifice in which to worship. The Beth Israel Congregation, many years prior to the construction of their present u synagogue, had occupied various quarters and had a large membership. Immediately following the building of their present house of worship. another congregation was formed, so that the Hebrews in the lower end of the city would not be called upon to traverse the long distance intervening between the Beth Israel synagogue and their homes. This second synagogue, B’Nai Jacob Congregation, is temporarily located on Ninth Street and Eighth Avenue, and is under the direction of Frederick Rudman, president of the congregation.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908