The first church organized in Rapids City was the Church of Christ, on September 8, 1856, by Elder G. W. Smith, with a member-ship of twelve. Commencing May, 1857, A. G. Lucas, an evangelist, was pastor for two years, and added eighty members, he being succeeded by Elder H. C. Brown, who added forty-two members in a year and one-half. The church owns a commodious brick house, built upon the land donated by Jonas Barber.

Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908