T. J. Pickett launched a Republican paper -the Rock Island Register-February 9, 1859, and published from the start a weekly and tri-weekly, with Campbell W. Waite as associate editor, who continued his connection with the paper for about five months. June 6, 1860, C. W. Kirkland became a partner, the firm name being Pickett and Waite. editors and proprietors. January 9, 1861, Mr. Pickett having been elected to the Legislature, Mr. M. S. Barnes took charge of the editorial department, which he retained until the return of Mr. Pickett in August of that year. The tri-weekly ceased publication some time in the Summer of 1861, and the weekly some time in 1862.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908