The Rock Island Lodge, No. 980, of the brotherhood of Elks was organized June 26, 1905, with a membership of fifty-five; at the present time (September, 1908) it numbers three hundred and twenty-five. Their first quarters were over the Illinois Theatre. January 31, 1908, they moved to new quarters in the new Elks Building on Eighteenth Street near the river front, where they occupy two stories, and have a lodge room, club room, and accompaniments, as fine as any in the State. Departing from their old home, four hundred Elks formed in line and marched to their new home with the band playing “Auld Lang Syne.” The fundamental principles of the order are charity and benevolence. Their salutation cry is “Hello Bill.”

Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908