The Farm Bureau, which is doing work somewhat similar to that of the institute, is an outgrowth of the Farmers’ League, and was incorporated in September, 1913. Its annual expenses of over $5,000 are met by the subscriptions of its 435 members, amounting to about $3,000; a $1,000 appropriation from the board of county commissioners; $900 contributed by the University of Illinois and $300 by the National Department of Agriculture. The subscriptions are graduated according to the size of the farms, and the active lecturer and adviser, known as the “farm expert,” is C. H. Oathout. The president of the bureau is W. P. Jones, and the secretary James A. Hossack, who held the position so long with the Champaign County Farmers’ Institute.

Source: A Standard History of Champaign County, Illinois, by J. R. Stewart, published by The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago And New York, 1918.