Coe Township, Illinois
Coe, surrounded by the townships of Canoe Creek, Port Byron, Zuma and Cordova, is considered one of the best agricultural portions of the county. John Walker was the first settler in 1835, followed shortly by John Butcher; his brother, Burrall Butcher, coming in 1836, and in 1851 locating on his brother’s section, his brother having left for California, but died on his way there. Samuel Allen came in 1837, moving from what was afterwards the village of Port Byron. Samuel Ennison came shortly after from Indiana. Henry Smith, Henry M. Stockton and Isaac Hollister also coming in 1837. Mrs. Charity Marshall, a widow with nine children, came in 1838 from New Jersey. The first to wed in the township were Hiram Walker and Mary Ennis, and David Allen and Miss Remson.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908