Was mustered into the State service, by Colonel David O. Reid, adjutant-general commanding, September 5, 1877. numbering about seventy-five men. The first officers elected were. William P. Butler, captain; Charles W. Hawes, first lieutenant; John M. Reticker, second lieutenant. Shortly after the organization of the company it was assigned to the Fourteenth Battalion of Infantry, Illinois National Guard, and designated as Company D. First Lieu-tenant Charles W. Hawes was elected captain, vice-captain William P. Butler promoted to lieutenant-colonel commanding the Fourteenth Battalion, with headquarters at Rock Island. The company was one of the finest in the State, having distinguished itself for precision in military tactics and for soldierly conduct generally. The Rifle team made the best record of any team in the Second Brigade and won the prize for marksmanship offered by the Second Brigade, in 1880, and also prizes in contests in other States. In 1879, a corporation was formed by members of the company, and purchased a lot and erected thereon a three-story brick Armory building, sixty by one hundred and fifty feet, at an expense of $15,000. It is said to be the finest Armory ever built and owned by a single military company up to that date; it is located at the corner of Third Avenue and Sixteenth Street, and is still occupied by the company and the Rock Island Division of Naval Reserves. The Armory Building is now owned by the City of Rock Island, the building has been enlarged and part is used for council chambers, city offices and police station. Company D was assigned to the Sixth Regiment of Infantry in 1882, and designated as Company A in 1908. The company served in the Spanish American War, in General Miles expedition to Cuba and Porto Rico, giving excellent service.
Third Brigade, Illinois National Guard, Moline, Illinois The Brigade officers are as follows. Brigadier-General, Edward Kittilsen, commanding; Major Elmer E. Morgan, adjutant-general.Sixth Infantry, Illinois National Guard, Rock Island, Illinois Colonel Will T. Channon, commanding; Captain John J. Cairns, regimental adjutant. Company A, Rock Island-Captain, Edward Dunavin; first lieutenant, Walter E. Hart; second lieutenant, Bernard A. Koch. Company F, Moline-Captain, Marvin H. Lyon, commanding; first lieutenant, Charles Laurin; second lieutenant, Roland E. Willis. Rock Island Division, Naval Reserves-Lieutenant, Samuel R. Davis, commanding; lieutenant junior grade, Maurice DeKay; Moline Division, Naval Reserves-Lieutenant, George T. Kemmerling, commanding; lieutenant, junior grade, George Gibbs. Helen Gould Auxiliary, No. 7, United Spanish War Veterans.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908