Tri-City Press Club
The Tri-City Press Club is an organization representing some sixty odd working news-paper men of the Cities of Rock Island, Moline and Davenport. The condition of active membership is identical with the editorial or business departments of the papers and other reputable journals of the three cities. Two other classes of membership are honorary and non-resident. The Club was organized at a banquet tendered representatives of the press of the three cities at Black Hawk Inn by Charles McHugh and J. F. Lardner, in September, 1898. The Club at its first meeting elected Mr. McHugh and Mr. Lardner honorary members, and since that time has added the names of H. E. Downer, of Davenport; J. T. McCutcheon, George Ade, H. B. Chamberlain, R. E. Little, W. J. Bryan, Captain W. T. Thompson, Rabbi W. H. Fineschriber, Henry Watterson, James Whitcomb Riley and Sir Robert Ball to that list. The following have served as presidents : 1898, Walter Johnson, Rock Island; 1899, J. E. Calkins, Davenport, 1900; P. S. Mc-Glynn, Moline; 1901, H. P. Simpson, Rock Island; 1902, L. P. McClarrien, Davenport; 1903, J. H. McKeever, Moline; 1904, Robert Rexdale, Rock Island; 1905, B. F. Tillinghast, Davenport; 1906, John Sundine, Moline; 1907, Val. J. Peter, Rock Island. The Club meets alternately in Moline, Rock Island and Davenport, each business meeting being supplemented by an entertaining and instructive program and dinner. Each year the Club becomes sponsor for a high class, intellectual public entertainment. The Club is affiliated with the National Association of Press Clubs.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908