The Villa De Chantal
This institution (Home school for girls) was formerly known as Francis de Sales Academy, and was founded in 1864 at Maysville, Kentucky. In August, 1899, the academy was removed to Rock Island. The Villa de Chantal is located on one of the most beautiful bluffs overlooking the Mississippi, and commanding a superb view of the surrounding country. The institution was first incorporated in 1866, under the title of “The Sisters of the Visitation,” Maysville, Kentucky, and after its removal to Rock Island it was re-incorporated under the laws of the State of . Illinois, with the new title, “The Sisters of the Visitation,” Rock Island, Illinois. By its charter the academy possesses all the rights and privileges of a collegiate institution. The course of study embraces the academic, intermediate and primary departments. The academic department offers two courses, the general and the college preparatory; art, drawing, painting and crayon work are provided for in the course. The piano, organ, harp, mandolin and violin are taught by competent instructors. The department of elocution is under the supervision of a finished pupil of the Chicago School of Oratory. Foreign languages may be studied under the supervision of accomplished linguists. Aesthetic culture, and daily physical exercises receive special care. The library of the Villa de Chantal is one of the most complete school libraries in the State. The City of Rock Island is to be congratulated on possessing this excellent educational institution.
Source: Historic Rock Island County, pub. Kramer & Company, Rock Island, Illinois, 1908